This sequence is designed to carry collectively quite a lot of shorter, available podcasts to introduce a subject from current headlines and encourage dialogue.
From Fb altering its firm identify to Meta to Epic’s (firm behind Fortnite) battle with Apple’s App Retailer insurance policies, there have been many tech and social media headlines prior to now couple of months. On this submit, we dive into a few of these headlines and have coupled them with some open-ended questions.
Listed here are two 2-4 minute Market podcasts discussing these headlines.
Listed here are some related Market Minute podcasts.
- 2/4 Morning Temporary Meta suffers greatest loss in market worth in in the future following earnings announcement (2/3 Closing Bell) showcases Fb’s disappointing efficiency.
- 2/2 Morning Temporary Amongst many company earnings bulletins, Alphabet’s earnings jumped 36%.
- 2/1 Morning Temporary New York Instances to purchase Wordle.
- 1/31 Closing Bell Sony to purchase Bungie and (Microsoft to purchase Activision-Blizzard).
- 1/28 Morning Briefing 34 States assist Epic of their authorized battle with Apple.
Decide how a lot time you need to dedicate to this exercise, and choose podcasts to offer college students with background info.
Have college students then sort out these dialogue questions. This may be performed individually, in teams, or as a category. Encourage college students to quote examples from the podcasts of their responses.
- There are some frequent themes or points woven by means of these tales. College students can talk about how every firm is impacted by them.
- Advert Income:
- How has Apple’s privateness modifications impacted the businesses that depend on this as a main supply of revene?
- How is Meta planning to spice up advert income?
- What various income fashions may these corporations use?
- What’s the worth of a free recreation like Wordle to the NYT?
- Consolidation of gamers/monopoly energy
- How will the consolidation of gamers affect the customers of issues like video video games?
- Does “larger” imply extra innovation or much less?
- Who has extra energy, the sport producer of the corporate that controls your entry to the sport?
- Advert Income:
In case you use this project in your class, please tell us the way it went!
Concerning the Authors
Ren has been working part-time at NGPF since 2014, interning by means of highschool and school. Together with his information rising alongside NGPF, after graduating from school in 2020, he joined the group to work full time with a give attention to instructor onboarding. He’s additionally the editor of the NGPF podcast and makes positive it’s accessible to academics on iTunes, Stitcher, and Google Play Music. Throughout his free time, he likes to check out coffees from completely different roasters the world over and check out new brewing strategies, though private finance gurus are inclined to warning towards shopping for a cup of joe.
Beth Tallman entered the working world armed with an MBA in finance and totally loved her first profession working in manufacturing and telecommunications, together with a stint abroad. She took benefit of an involuntary separation to strive educating highschool math, one thing she had all the time dreamed of doing. When destiny stepped in as soon as once more, Beth jumped on the chance to mix her ardour for numbers, cash, and schooling to develop curriculum and educate private finance at Oberlin School. Beth now spends her time writing on private finance and monetary schooling, conducts pupil workshops, and develops finance curricula and academic content material. She can be the Treasurer of Ohio Soar$tart Coalition for Private Monetary Literacy.